Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Lamentations

The name gives it away. This book is Jerusalem and her people lamenting over the fall of their city and nation. The things that are happening are terrible. Cannibalism is mentioned twice (2:20; 4:10) and women are being raped in the streets (5:11). That is just a picture of what Jerusalem looks like for the people still there after Babylon overtook them. But this lament about the state of things is always brought back to one thing- God. It is obvious that this is all from Him. Babylon is not the cause of their destruction, God is (1:5,12,14; 2:2,8,17; 4:11,16). And it was their sins that brought on the anger of the Yahweh (1:5; 4:13). There is a ray of hope found in the Yahweh's character in chapter three (v 22-26). Also, one very interesting note is that in 3:33 it says Yahweh "does not willingly afflict or grieve the children of man." This makes it sound like His hands are tied. Like He is forced into wrath by His justice and Israel breaking the covenant. Also note verses 3:38-39. One last thing that I noticed was that at the end of every chapter, they turn their focus to another nation. Since they have suffered for their sins, they want God to be "fair" and cause their enemies to suffer for their own sins.

P.S. You might have noticed that I am writing "Yahweh" in the place of "LORD." The reason is that Lord and LORD mean two different things (according to my ESV footnotes). Any time you see LORD in the Bible it is referring to the name that the Israelites used for Him, Yahweh. I figured I should start clarifying. I think it is important, and it kind of makes God sound more like a being than a thing. Plus it's easier than having to change the font every time to write LORD.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet site, I hadn't come across actstwenty24.blogspot.com earlier during my searches!
Keep up the excellent work!

Anonymous said...

Wow neat! This is a really great site! I am wondering if anyone else has come across something
similar in the past? Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but argg it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at actstwenty24.blogspot.com could repost it.

Thanks,
Daniel

Anonymous said...

Hello there,

This is a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at actstwenty24.blogspot.com.

Can I use part of the information from your blog post above if I provide a link back to your website?

Thanks,
John

Mitchell Carter said...

John, of course you can post this somewhere else.

And Daniel, I'm not sure which link you are talking about. I'd love to help though. My email is mcarter3@harding.edu