Search This Blog

Monday, March 8, 2010

Leaving

I think that I am finally leaving. I'm supposed to be flying out of Fort Wayne at around 2:30 tomorrow and getting to Atlanta at about 4:30. From there we take the ten hour (+ or -) flight to Santiago. I think the airport there is in good shape, but honestly I haven't checked. We will be there for about 24 hours and then leave on our first trip. This one is to Patagonia, the southern tip of the continent. I'll be down there until March 22nd. Then it's back to ViƱa for classes. We'll be taking three other major trips to Peru, Easter Island, and the Atacama Desert in that order. I don't know if I'll have internet access on those trips so these updates might be scarce.

What I am going to try to do is update on things that I'm doing and things that I'm learning all at the same time. It'll be tough for me just because I already feel like I won't have enough time in the day. I might just not sleep there. Maybe. My reading time will probably be limited to the mornings. I plan on waking up early to read and pray. I know that I'll want to read instead of hanging out sometimes, but the majority of people have told me I need to take in this experience as much as I can. We'll see about that.

Since this past week has been very hectic and at the same time not routine, I haven't done any reading in the Psalms. I know, I'm just as (probably more) disappointed than you. I'm hoping to read some on the flight but that time might be set aside to catching up with friends. The good thing about that is when they ask what I've been doing the last three months I can just pull out my Bible and start talking. The best thing about talking about reading or talking about Christ and His greatness is that it's pleasing. It's not always fun and it's not always easy. I've had many talks with people that frustrate me to no end and I leave either upset, annoyed, or sad. But I always leaved with a feeling of pleasure. I don't know, maybe I am using the wrong word because those sound like they contradict. But there's this sense of satisfaction that I get from talking about Christ. So whether the person I'm talking to agrees, disagrees or even worse, doesn't care, I am satisfied because I am not wasting my time. No time spent praising the grace and power of the Lord is wasted.

So in the end I'd just ask for your prayers. First I will ask you to pray for me to stay away from some things. Pray that I make war on my sin on this trip. That any feelings of arrogance, lust, hatred, annoyance, depression, or whatever else will be my enemy on this trip and that I would constantly be on guard against them. Also, pray for the things that I want to do. Whether I am having a conversation, speaking in chapel, climbing a mountain, sitting and reading, or even going to class, pray that I will do it all to the glory of God. That I would give him the fullest and most accurate praise of His grace that I can. Obviously you don't have to pray for me. I know all of you out there have things that you need prayer for. Not might need prayer. You do. Every one of us needs prayer just to get through the day by God's grace. So I'll be praying for those of you who I know as well. I'll miss you guys.

All for His glory,
Mitchell

1 comment:

bsheehan09 said...

I'll miss you Mitch! (even though I barely see you already) Homey and I were talking today and we were trying to scheme up a plan to sneak into your bedroom and put Fritos in your bed. But your leaving tomorrow so, plan failed. But maybe sometime in the future haha. Alright well I will try to keep you in my prayers! cya dood.

Brian