Search This Blog

Friday, April 23, 2010

Ecclesiastes

This probably doesn't surprise many of you, but I didn't really understand Ecclesiastes. A lot of the things that the Preacher (Qoheleth) said were really good. He talks about the vanity of life and how we are all a vapor. He also talk about the vanity of wisdom and how it basically makes you realize just how bad things are (1:18). He talks about the vanity of self-indulgence (2:1-11), which is a lot of very true stuff.

But then he says things that I just don't get. The thing that he says the most in the book is that you should eat and drink and find enjoyment in your toil (2:24; 3:13; 5:18; 8:15; 9:7). That just sounds really weird to me. I may be misinterpreting this. Maybe he means that God has given us things to enjoy and we need to stop worrying if they matter and just enjoy them. That could be it, but I doubt it. It seems like the author is just the most depressed, cynical person in the world. He hits the nail on the head a couple of times with the fear of the Lord (7:18; 8:12; 12:13).

Like I said, I don't really know what to think of what the Preacher is saying. I accept what he says about realizing how vain everything in life is, but don't think I accept his reaction to that (eat and drink and take joy in your toil).

There are some verses in here that I think are very important though. I have seen similar verses in other books so far but none so obvious to the reader. Ecclesiastes 8:11 and 9:3. 8:11b says, "the heart of the children of man is fully set to do evil." And 9:3b says, "Also, the hearts of the children of man are full of evil, and madness is in their hearts while they live, and after that they go to the dead." I think these are two very clear pictures of total depravity. Man is sinful; man is evil. It's not that everyone is born good and then may mess up or may not. It's not that people are generally good, but there are just some bad ones interspersed. Men are evil. I've seen this many times in the poetic writings so far. All men have sinned. Not one is righteous. I am a firm believer that every single one of us is in desperate need of a savior. Until we realize just how awful, evil, and worthless we are, I don't think we realize just how great God's gift is. That's just something I saw in here and thought I should mention.

Song of Solomon is next so that's going to be interesting. Ecclesiastes is one of those books that I will probably get a commentary for and read alongside that once I finish the Bible through (along with Esther and Psalms so far). If anyone has any advice on Ecclesiastes feel free to send me a message or something. I know that Joe really likes this book so I'd love to hear some advice on it. Thanks guys. Be encouraged and challenged.

All for His glory,
Mitchell

4 comments:

Mitchell Carter said...

I got some good advice from some good friends about Ecclesiastes. What I was missing was in my reading of "eat, drink, and find enjoyment in your toil." I kept thinking about Paul talking about the Ephesians in 1 Corinthians 15:32 when they say "Let us eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die." So I had that in the back of my mind. But this is different. This, apparently, is God saying to stop worrying all the time. Enjoy what He has given you to enjoy. But do it with the knowledge that every pleasure outside of Him is only a vapor. That is the advice that I have been give on this book which is extremely helpful.

It then allows me to focus on the awesome truths that the author is seeing. Everything of this world is fleeting. All its pleasures are but a vapor. Every time you look for pleasure in this world outside of the fear of the Lord, you will be sorely disappointed.

If you want to hear more about this pleasure stuff, what is right and what isn't, I suggest listening to Ravi Zacharias. The series that we listened to in high school was "What is Worthwhile Under the Sun?" Here are the links to them:
Part 1: http://htod.cdncon.com/o2/rzimht/MP3/JT/JT139-1.mp3
Part 2: http://htod.cdncon.com/o2/rzimht/MP3/JT/JT139-2.mp3
Part 3: http://htod.cdncon.com/o2/rzimht/MP3/JT/JT139-3.mp3
Part 4: http://htod.cdncon.com/o2/rzimht/MP3/JT/JT139-4.mp3
And then here is the link to his whole archive:
http://www.rzim.org/radio/archives.aspx

I realize that most of you don't have a couple of hours to sit down and listen to these but I do encourage you to download them and listen to them on your next road trip or plane ride. They are worth your time. Actually everything from Ravi Zacharias is worth your time. I'll leave you with my favorite quote from Ravi.

"The loneliest moment in life is when you have just experienced what you thought would deliver the ultimate, and it has let you down."

Mitchell Carter said...

I just saw that those links are clickable. Just copy and paste them into your url line. That will work.

Anonymous said...

I seldom leave comments on blogs, but the ideas really rocks, also I have a few questions like to ask, what's your contact details?

-Johnson

Mitchell Carter said...

Johnson, my email is mcarter3@harding.edu just send me an email with those questions.