Search This Blog

Monday, April 5, 2010

Psalm 119

Yesterday I got to Psalm 119 in my reading. I had kind of been looking forward to this chapter for awhile. All I knew about it was that it is the longest chapter in the Bible and that it has to do with God's law. I think I heard Mr. Webster reference it one time. What I got was a lot more than a long chapter.

If you haven't read Psalm 119 go read it sometime today. It is well worth the 15-20 minutes that it would take (it shouldn't take less than that). The book is an acrostic, which means that each section has a heading which is one of the letters of the Hebrew alphabet and they go in order. The verses under each heading all being with that Hebrew letter. Kind of cool, but not at all the reason that I like the chapter.

From beginning to end the writer echoes so many things that I have been feeling lately: "Your testimonies are my delight; they are my counselors. (v. 24)" "Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it as my reward. (v. 33)" "Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain! (36)" "I find my delight in your commandments, which I love. (47)" "This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (50)" And just all over the place I see these verses of praise to God that I just want to echo.

There's more though. The writer talks about feelings that I have been having and have no really been sure about. Just listen and you'll understand what I mean: "Hot indignation (anger provoked by something perceived as unfair or unrighteous) seizes me because of the wicked, who forsake your law. (53)" "Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. (104)" "I open my mouth and pant, because I long for your commandments. (131)" "My eyes shed streams of tears, because people do not keep your law. (136)"

I have noticed a lot lately that I want to do the right thing. It's this weird feeling of hating sin. I feel like Paul so often now in Romans 7 when he talks about doing what he does not want to do and not doing what he so desperately wants to do. God has shown me the joy of His law. I heard Mr. Webster say one time that obedience to God's law requires no blessing because obedience is a blessing in itself. That is so true. I rejoice in the law of God because in it I see His love for me. It is good not to lie. It is good not to hate people. It is good not to lust. I'm not saying that I have these things purged from my life because I don't. But my hatred for them is growing deeper and deeper thanks to the grace of my Father.

Along with that come the tears. The tears come from seeing other people disregard His statutes and do what they want to do. The tears and pain aren't because people are choosing pleasure over God. I've tried to get this point across time and time again. The tears come because I'm watching people that I love play in a mud puddle while I'm sitting over here in the ocean of God's joy. I used to play in that puddle. I thought it was fun. But then I got to the ocean and I see what I was playing in. Do you get what I am saying? Infinite joy is offered to us in the person of Christ and fellowship with Him. After I experience that, I never want to go back to my sin again. That is what Psalm 119 is saying. The writer is rejoicing in the life that God and His Word and His law bring. It is a life that is truly fulfilling. So when I step outside of that pleasure again, or when I see someone else living outside that pleasure, it hurts. It hurts so bad that I'm confused. I don't know how to show them (or even sometimes show myself) how great this life is. I guess all I can do is enjoy it. "The chief end of man is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever."

I know this was all over the place... again. I don't really have a whole lot of time to collect my thoughts here. When I do they go in my journal. Thank you all for reading this and encouraging me so often. I'm praying for a lot of you. Please keep praying for me here. Pray that God shows me how my enjoyment of Him should manifest while I'm here. Thanks again.

All for His glory,
Mitchell

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ps 119:83 "For I have become like a wineskin in smoke, yet I do not forget Your statutes.

Relevant Historical Insights into Scripture-bible-history.com
The Psalmist here is referring to an experience in his life where he sees himself on the brink of ruin. He uses the term "wineskin in the smoke" as an illustration of how he felt.

Drinking containers in ancient times were usually made of skin. These skin bottles were often used out in the wilderness to hang in a tent when the use of fire was needed inside and there was no chimney. The skin would absorb the smoke for a long period of time.

Immediately the skin would become hard and shriveled because of the smoke and afterwards it turned black and was useless.

A striking figure for a man of God to refer himself as yet even in this state he "would not forget God's Word."