Search This Blog

Monday, February 15, 2010

1 Chronicles

I called my boss last night and I've got no work for the next two days. It kind of stinks because I need some money still for Chile, but it is nice because I can catch up on the reading that I should have done over the weekend. I've been thinking a lot about Chile lately, and I'd just like to ask that anyone reading this would be in prayer that I won't be distracted with a new, busier setting; that I would still give my time to the Lord and constantly surround myself with His Word. It's going to get more difficult starting in about two weeks so I'd appreciate if you could pray for that. Thanks.

Well I finished 1 Chronicles yesterday. What is weird about this book is that this book is refereed to as the Chronicles of King David. Well, I thought I already read the Chronicles of King David in 2 Samuel. The next book seems like it a joining of what is refereed to in 1 & 2 Kings as the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel and the Chronicles of the Kings of Judah. I thought I already read about them in 1 & 2 Kings. My point is that 1 & 2 Chronicles are repeats of the last three books I read. At first that kind of ticked me off because it's like reading the same book twice; it's tough for it to hold you attention the second time because it's not new stuff. But, after thinking about it and getting into it a little bit this is exciting. Any differences that I see in the stories will jump out at me. And quite a few of them did in 1 Chronicles. That's a long disclaimer, but I just wanted to say what was going through my head.

Since you already know the story of David, I'll spare you the second go-round and just note the differences. The first nine chapters of this book are all genealogies. We see the family line from Adam all the way to David's descendants, the Kings of Judah. Also the descendants of all of the tribes of Israel and Saul are mapped out in those first nine chapters.

There weren't many changes in the story until I got to chapter sixteen. David sings a song of thanks to the Lord that was not in 1 Samuel. It is one of the most God-glorifying things I have ever read in my life. It seems like every other line talks about remembering His great works or telling the nations of His great works. Verse 29 starts out, "Ascribe to the Lord the glory due His name." That pretty much sums this up. There is also a whole lot of rejoicing and being glad. All of this happens because God is brought into their presence. David finally brings the Ark to Jerusalem.

Chapter 17 is the Lord's covenant with David, and apparently I was wrong about it having to do with Jesus, because in chapter 22, David tells Solomon that it was about him. So that was a pretty obvious mistake after I read that.

Chapter 21 is extremely interesting in the difference between its words and the words in 2 Samuel. It's an account of David's census of Israel. I wasn't really sure why a census would make God mad, and I'm actually still not. But in 2 Samuel, the first sentence says, "Again the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel, and He incited David against them." In 1 Chronicles, this is how it starts, "Then Satan stood against Israel and incited David to number Israel." What's up with this? This is the exact same story, only in one book God causes it, but in the other Satan causes it. Seems like a pretty big difference to me. It made me think of Job when at the beginning of the Satan is doing all of this stuff to Job and then Job says, "'Shall we receive good from God and shall we not receive evil?' In all of this Job did not sin with his lips (Job 2:10)." Again, same issue. Satan obviously was the one that did these things to Job, then Job says "Should I not accept this evil that God is doing to me?" and it immediately says that he didn't sin in saying this. We talked about this issue a lot in my Israelite Poetry class this past semester. My teacher was a renown Hebrew scholar, so he was pretty sure he was right on the issue. What we talked about is that "Satan" is actually "the satán," which is Hebrew for "the adversary." He said that the satán is merely an officer of the Lord who does what He tells him to do. We had long discussions about that, and I still am not quite sure what he was saying about a lot of it, especially Satan in the New Testament. Anyway, I thought you should know what he told us since he is really smart. Now here is what I believe from what I have read so far. It reminds me of the situation with Pharaoh in Exodus. God hardened his heart, then in the next verse, Pharaoh hardened his heart. Who actually did it? Here's what I believe. God is in control of all, even Pharaoh, even Satan. He is sovereign over everything. So when it says in one instance that Satan caused something or Pharaoh caused something, and then in the next, that God caused them, it is right. God ultimately is the one that caused Pharaoh's heart to be hardened, and David to take a census, and Job to have all that bad stuff happen to him. He might have done it through Satan or Pharaoh or whoever, but in the end He is the cause of it all because He is over it all. I know that is a lot and it is still confusing, but I believe it is important. And I believe it is important because it has come up so many times in the first what, 20 books of the Bible? You may not agree with my opinion, but I think you should care enough to have an opinion. Those of you who would say, "It's not a salvation issue so who really cares?" frustrate me so much. It's an issue of who God is, how could you not care? Anyway, that's my rant for the day.

Chapter 28 is very clear that God chose David, Judah, and Solomon from among many. David says, "and among my father's sons He took pleasure in me to make me king over all Israel (28:4)."

Chapter 29 is David giving instruction about the building of the temple. In the midst of the instruction, he has a time of giving. This is such an awesome picture of "giving" that I think it is worth talking about. David, the king, leads by example by giving an insane amount of money to the house of God (225,000 pounds of gold and 525,000 pounds of silver). Then in his prayer (29:10-22), he praises God's greatness and then says this, "But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to offer thus willingly? For all things come from you, and of your own have we given you." Notice the rejoicing in verses 9, 17, and 22. There is more rejoicing in this passage than anywhere else in the book, after victories in battle or David being exulted as king. And they just gave away a ton of money. Why are they all so happy? That is not normally what I see when the offering plate comes around. One time have I seen giving like that. That was at Passion 2010 when 22,000 college kids gave away like 1.3 million dollars. But to see joy when people are giving things away is pretty rare.

One more note about 1 Chronicles, the sin of David is not mentioned in this book. I was very surprised by that. It seems like that would be a point of emphasis to show the disasters that come with sin, but it is not mentioned.

Be challenged by this. I know it was a lot and there was a lot of stuff in here that you might not agree with. Don't go away and go, "Well I just don't agree." Actually find out why you don't agree. Then tell me so that you can show me the truth. I'm not interested in what your pastor told you or what mom or dad says. Find out what you believe and why you believe it, then tell everyone. I think that's how it should work. Not being taught something by some book or some class and then holding firm to what someone told you. When you put your faith in things that fail, you will be disappointed. Put your faith in God and His Word. I promise He doesn't fail. Alright enough ranting for the day. I've got to read. Continue to pray for me as I search God's word.

All for His glory,
Mitchell

No comments: