Search This Blog

Friday, February 5, 2010

My Bible Reading Plan

One thing that I thought about this week is that I've been writing what I've noticed in my readings, but haven't really told you all what I'm looking for. So I'll give you a little overview of what I am doing in my reading plan.

The first and most important thing is that I'm reading the whole Bible. I'm reading all of it all the way through so that I can get a big picture view of it. Along the way, I am marking and noting certain things (with different colored pencils). These are the things that I am marking:

-God's purposes and reasons for doing things (His end goal)
This one has essentially become anywhere that I see God's glory being stressed because it became pretty obvious early on that His glory was His end goal.
-God's promises (covenants)
-God's commands
-God's control/sovereignty
-God's wrath/punishment/curses
-Jesus in the Old Testament
-the Holy Spirit
-fear of the Lord
-my free will
-Joy/happiness/pleasure (mine and God's)
-election
-the Gospel
-Heaven (descriptions)
-God's grace
-The Word of God/Scripture
-Hell
-what I must do to be saved

That's the list. There are a few that I haven't even seen yet (what I must do to be saved, Heaven, God's grace), but I have seen most of them quite a bit. My pencils for God's sovereignty, God's glory, and God's wrath are all about two inches long now and need to be replaced. I just kind of made up the list. I used things that I thought I would find and things that I have questions about. The colored pencil idea was a great idea that Mac Sandlin, my Acts of the Apostles teacher gave me. It's worked out really well. They don't bleed through, and when I have gone back to look for certain things, they jump right off the page at me. That's about it. My plan is to finish with one month left in Chile. That's roughly 13 pages every weekday. I'm pretty much ahead of that, but I figure I'll get behind while I'm there so this is good. I've actually thought about what I want to do when I am finished. I've thought about some of the New Testament books and how small, but important they are. I still want to go through them and just not things so I don't miss the big picture of the Bible, but when I'm done I think I am going to go through the New Testament and write out some doctrinal statements of what I believe and why. That's just a thought right now though.

I just figured I'd fill anyone who reads this in on the way I'm going about it. I don't think it's necessarily right, but I'm really liking what I am learning from it. If anyone has any suggestions on some other things I might pick up on that'd be great.

All for His glory,
Mitchell

No comments: