Search This Blog

Thursday, February 11, 2010

1 Kings

1 Kings is somewhat similar to 2 Samuel in that I was so hopeful at the beginning and then Solomon turns about halfway through the book. So once again it made the book hard to read. The glory of God shines bright in the last several chapters though, through his prophets.

The book begins with Solomon becoming king of Israel. The first big thing that happens is that the Lord offers Solomon anything that he wants, and Solomon asks for wisdom. The Lord is so pleased that He says He will give him riches as well. I think we've all heard that part of the story. Shortly after, Solomon builds the temple of God. This is so great to read. To see all of God's glory finally being praised in a house fit for Him. Solomon says something very cool in 8:27 though. He has just built this amazing, magnificent house for God and then says this, "But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain you; how much less this house that I have built!" That is a glorious God! In chapter 11 the heading reads, "Solomon Turns from the Lord." Do you know why it says he did? Because of his wives. Because of the foreign women he loved who did not love the Lord. His heart was turned to them and their gods. That was the fall of Solomon.

The next five chapters are God's punishment because Solomon and Israel turned from Him. The biggest and most important punishment comes in chapter 12, when the kingdom is divided into two parts- Israel and Judah. This is the way it stays for the rest of the history of the people. You will see how it turns out but I'll just tell you that it isn't good.

Then Elijah comes on the scene in chapter 17. God shows His glory all over through Elijah and Elisha. The most prominent time is when Elijah challenges the prophets of Baal. In 18:37 he prays as he is asking God to show up the prophets of Baal, "Answer me, O Lord, answer me, that this people may know that you, O Lord, are God, and that you have turned their hearts back. Then the fire of the Lord fell and consumed the burnt offering and the wood and the stones and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench. And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces and said, 'The Lord, He is God; the Lord, He is God.'" That is the God we serve! That is an awesome God who is jealous for His glory. Oh I love that. There are some little things that God does through the prophets that I just love to read (by little I mean not really expounded upon, just mentioned in passing). My favorite is 18:46. Ahab takes off in his chariot to Jezreel and then it says this, "And the hand of the Lord was on Elijah, and he gathered up his garment and ran before Ahab to the entrance of Jezreel." Ha! God made it so he outran the chariot. That is awesome! The end of the book continues to talk about the bad kings that follow Solomon in both Judah and Israel.

I have already finished 2 Kings so I will write the notes I have for that today if I can get to it. Please don't just read what I write and think that you are reading and understanding the Bible. As you all know I am not perfect. I do not get all of this right all the time. I'm a 19-year-old kid who is trying to learn more about the God that I serve. I'm not a scholar. So read these things for yourselves as well. Let God reveal to you what He wants to reveal. I hope that this is merely a challenge and an encouragement. It's all by the grace of God.

All for His glory,
Mitchell

No comments: