Search This Blog

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Esther... what the heck?

I am totally confused by the book of Esther. God's name is not mentioned one time in the whole book. The whole thing is just about the Jews being saved from destruction. The point seems to continue to be the Lord's people being a holy and chosen race (just like His anger against them for polluting their race by intermarrying with foreigners), but I just don't understand why no credit goes to God. Maybe it was written by a non-Jew just as a record of history. Maybe the Lord wanted to show that He is still in control even when it is not acknowledged. Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Nevertheless, this is a book that I really want to take a closer look at and read some commentaries on when I finish my reading. For now though, onto Job. A quick note about Job. I have tried to read Job before and have absolutely no idea what is going on the whole time. So I'm going to be using "How to read the Bible: Book by Book" by Gordon Fee and Douglas Stewart. It's a very good book that gives some background and some reading advice. I may also have to use a translation other than the ESV that tries to give things in a simpler way. Possibly the New Living Translation. I'll let you know when I write the notes on it. It could be awhile though. It's a tough book.

All for His glory,
Mitchell

2 comments:

Jr Sheets said...

Esther, in part, was written to give a reason for the origin of the Feast of Purim; which Jews continue to celebrate to this day.

In addition, when you read Esther you may ask, "Why is it that we [the chosen ones, the Jews] are still here?" If Haman had succeeded, God's saving work from Abraham to Christ would have been finished. This is a part of our heritage as people of the promise; as repentant believers in Jesus. God preserved us and continues to preserve us. We adopt this heritage as we are adopted in Christ. This is our history too.

And we have Esther, who in the face of death, in the most gripping of all the parts of the story, says to Mordecai, "I will go to the king, though it is against the law, and if I perish, I perish."

This is a woman of God. A woman who will put her life on the line for her people; for God's people. This is a strong and mighty woman. The Kingdom needs such women in these days!

Both Mordecai and Esther show courage in the face of certain death.

Also, you must admit, the irony of Haman is just classic. He builds his own hanging device and gives Mordecai a parade he wanted as his own. Therefore, when we see the face of arrogance in this world against us as the People of God, our enemies will only succeed in bringing about their own destruction. The LORD of the universe, Jesus, laughs at them. "He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord holds them in derision" (Psalm 2:4).

Finally, as for our role in the plan of God; we have 4:14, "And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" Which reminds me of Acts 17:26, "he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place." So who is to say we are not where we are for such a time as this?

As for JOB, you MUST watch these videos:
http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/ConferenceMessages/ByConference/42/

Grace be with you -
Jr

Mitchell Carter said...

That is extremely helpful. Thanks JR. I appreciate you man. And I've got the videos downloaded. I'll probably take a look at them when I finish Job. So far it has been nuts reading that stuff. I feel like I actually understand what is going on.