Search This Blog

Friday, February 5, 2010

My Week without the Computer

Before I say anything, I'd just like to make sure I'm not lying in the title. I did use email to make sure I didn't miss anything and I checked whether and sports and stuff. The point was I didn't waste hours seeing what was going on in my friends lives and talking to them. That's it. Just wanted to make sure I was clear on that.

My thoughts after the week are a bit on the fence. It was a great week and I really enjoyed the amount of time I got to spend not only in the Word and in prayer, but with my family as well. It opened up a lot of time for me to talk to my mom in the mornings and just hang out with my mom and dad at night. I think one of the outcomes from this week is that I won't spend a whole lot of time "creeping" on facebook and such. Not a whole lot of time reading things and searching to see how my friends are doing. (Basically I might miss a few hundred of the HUF photo albums) I just miss too much time that I could spend with my family or God. And I think not having the computer to go to showed me how much of my time I waste.

On the other hand, I really did miss a lot of the encouragement I normally get. There are friends at school that I send facebook messages to because seven texts in a row to say one thing is kind of annoying. And apparently a phone call is kind of weird if you aren't super close. But I missed being able to talk to them. One thing I contemplated though was that they don't need it. It was a good thought to have because a lot of the time I feel like my friends are dependent on me to keep them accountable and keep their minds on God since they are in such a busy place and I don't really have any distractions right now. But a lot of times that's me thinking that I'm more important than I am. That time would probably be better spent on my knees, praying that God would bring them closer to Him and would create a hunger for Him in their lives. Actually I know that I need to do that more.

All in all, it was a good week because it showed me some things. I saw how much time I was wasting and put into perspective different ways that I can help my friends. I still miss all of them, but one of them sent me a text this week that had crossed my mind but I had never really thought about before. She said times of seclusion can be a great way for God to prepare you for something. That made me think a lot about this next month and the way that I'm going to spend it. I'll be doing the same stuff, but it's got a different thought behind it. I'm growing closer to God, but it has a kind of warlike atmosphere to it. Like I am preparing for battle. In that battle I am learning exactly what to do- look to the throne and revel in His amazing grace among other things.

All for His glory,
Mitchell

1 comment:

Jon Yoder said...

One thing I like about taking a break (from most anything) is the change of perspective. I'd consider my first year at Harding a pretty changing experience for me. I'd say that I was impacted in many different ways throughout that year, but what the summer following that year was almost equally impacting.

Having way more time to think than I ever did here, I was able to see things in a new perspective, see in ways that I never thought of before--namely things that I was blind to that I couldn't see before.

I don't know how complete of a thought this is, but I know that God moves where He wishes and in many ways, and a change of routine can be huge.