Search This Blog

Thursday, February 11, 2010

2 Kings

After reading the last two books I actually enjoyed 2 Kings. Through all the bad stuff that is happening there are drops of hope every once in a while, and those seem to make the rest worth reading.

This is a book where patterns show up like crazy. In both Israel and Judah this is basically how it goes: a king comes to power, does what is evil in the sight of the Lord, dies, then another follows the same mold. Like I said though, there are breaths of fresh air who follow the Lord. The book actually starts with Elisha. If you liked the little acts of God in 1 Kings (again by little I just mean, said in passing), you'll love the first few chapters of 2 Kings. Elijah doesn't die, he goes to heaven on chariots of fire; the Lord causes two bears to maul 42 small boys for making fun of Elisha for being bald; the widow's oil in one jar fills every jar in the neighborhood and she sells all of it to repay her debts; Elisha promises the Shunammite woman a son in her husband's old age, then he raises the kid from the dead when he dies; then he purifies poisoned stew; he heals Naaman of leprosy; then makes an iron axe head float by throwing a stick at it. That's some pretty cool stuff. I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of all of it is. Whether it's to show that God cares about the little things or what, I don't know. I just know it's all pretty amazing.

Anyway, from that point it continues on the same pattern- bad kings in Israel and Judah. In chapter 17 the Lord finally just ends it with Israel. He gives them over to the Assyrians. Starting in verse 7, He tells them why. It is because of their idolatry. It is because the Lord is jealous for the glory He and He alone deserves. When He doesn't get that glory, it makes Him angry (17:11). Then the end of that chapter is this weird thing where the Assyrians are trying to figure out how to fear the Lord. They do, but it's along with a bunch of other gods. To which the Lord says this, "You shall not fear other gods or bow yourselves to them or serve them or sacrifice to them, but you shall fear the Lord, who brought you out of the land of Egypt with great power and with an outstretched arm (17:35-36)." That is very clear that fear of the Lord is not to be coupled with the fear of anything else. You do not fear man; you do not fear other gods, or idols, but Yahweh and Him alone.

Immediately after that is one of my two favorite parts in the book. Hezekiah starts his reign in Judah. Let me just tell you that Hezekiah is the man! Even all the other kings that did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, didn't remove the high places. Hezekiah did. "For he held fast to the Lord. He did not depart from following Him, but kept the commandments that the Lord commanded Moses." Hezekiah had to deal with Sennacherib, the ruthless king of Assyria. He gave glory to the Lord the whole way. Even when he fell sick, Isaiah told him that he would die. Then the Lord heard Hezekiah's prayer and added fifteen years to his life. That is cool. But in this see what the Lord says. 20:6, "and I will add fifteen years to your life. I will deliver you and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria, and I will defend this city for my sake and for my servant David's sake." How clear can you get. He gives this gift to Hezekiah, but then tells him why He gives it to him. "For my sake." He does it all for His glory.

Josiah is my next favorite part in the book. He was eight when he became king. Eight years old. You know what his first recorded act as king was? To repair the temple. To repair the house of Yahweh. So I'm reading along and guess what he finds in the temple? The book of the Law. I didn't think it was any big deal, but I guess it was. Apparently, during all this time, they didn't have the book of the law to read. When Josiah read it, he tore his clothes because he realized all that they had done and what the punishment was. He immediately said "Go, inquire of the Lord for me, and for the people, and for all Judah, concerning the words of this book that has been found. For great is the wrath of the Lord that is kindled against us, because our fathers have not obeyed the words of this book, to do according to all this is written concerning us (22:13)." So that is what his reaction is. Oh no, look at what's going to happen to us because we haven't followed the Law in this book. That should be our reaction. Too bad it never is. It's always, "Well I don't agree with what God did here or there. I don't think a loving God would do that." No. God is God. His character is not in question, ours is. That was what Josiah knew as soon as he read. Anyway so he restores the Sabbath and tries to bring the people back to the Lord, but as soon as he dies they go right back to where they were. In chapter 25, Judah is taken into captivity by Babylon. So now both kingdoms of Israel are in exile. That is where we are left at the end of 2 Kings.

I'm swimming through this mess just like you guys are. I don't understand everything the Lord is doing, but I pray that He gives me insight into His Word. So that I may understand, as much as He allows, His glory shown in this book. I hope that this is an encouragement to you and challenges you to go read and grow in your love for and awe of Yahweh.

All for His glory,
Mitchell

No comments: