Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Week of Freedom

Okay, here's the deal. When I started writing on this blog thing I decided (I'm not sure if I said it or not) that I was going to be honest, transparent. However you want to say it. So here is me being honest. I have been way to addicted, dependent, concerned with communication with my friends, especially since I got back from my visit to school. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I have some good conversations with people and a lot of it is back and forth encouragement. But when it is the first thing I do when I get up in the morning, the first thing I do before I go to work, the last thing I do before I go to bed, and what I do when I'm bored, it is flirting with idolatry. So I am going to give it up for awhile. No facebook, twitter, email or blog until Friday night. It's just me thinking that I need to go without it for awhile. I'm sorry for those of you who get encouragement from the blog. I'll still be writing my notes and I'll post them all next week (I just finished Joshua tonight). For those of you that I have been messaging on facebook, I'm sorry that I won't get to do that for a week. If you want to talk, call me. I'm always available at night. I promise it won't be that awkward. It's a conversation. Also I am going to text still so don't think that is off limits. I don't have a huge problem with that.

Lastly, I want to make sure you know that one of the reasons I'm doing this is because I feel like I am too dependent on the praise of man. I like when people tell me they are encouraged by me or challenged by the stuff I write or post. It makes me feel like I'm doing something. But then my brother showed me Galatians 1:10 tonight, "Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." That was convicting.

So I am off for the week. Pray for me. Pray for me to love the Lord and His written word. I continue to pray for a lot of you that God would shower His graces on you and that He would give you an unquenchable desire for Him. I love you guys. I'll talk to you soon.

All for His glory,
Mitchell

2 comments:

Jr said...

I mailed you in Facebook. Appreciate you.

All glory to Christ -
Jr

Jon Yoder said...

This is great, Mitchell, and I am fully guilty of doing the exact same thing. Also, I think I'll do something like this soon too.

One thing that I seemed to have noticed some time ago (while seemingly doing nothing or very little about) is that I in some way base my life on the communication, praise, and opinion of others. I've tried to do social diets like this before, and find a sort of void in the way I feel. It's not a dependency that I like or think is healthy, and it's something that I definitely need some working on.

Thanks for the reminder.